Kids, doing multiple rounds of speed dating and online dating can get tiring , not to mention a bit boring because let’s face it, who has time to make small talk when you’re trying to find someone to date and in my case, father your children?
So, taking a cue from my rapping homie 50 Cents and his hit single 21 questions, I started asking my potential paramours 20 questions in the hopes of getting to know them and eliminating the unsuitable.
The key to the 20 initial questions was to mix up the serious with the fun ones because I didn’t want to scare my prospective suitors off but I also didn’t want them to think me too shallow.
Also, my usual gimmick of opening with “So, who is your favourite comic book character?” was starting to grow old …
Far from being the Spanish Inquisition, these were my 20 questions to ask The One or The One Right Now:
- What’s your favourite movie?
- What’s your dream job?
- What’s the one song guaranteed to get you on a dance floor?
- Where did you go on your last holiday?
- What is your favourite breakfast dish?
- What is your favourite book?
- What is the scariest thing you’ve ever done?
- What is your favourite food?
- What is the last thing you think of at night?
- What’s your nickname?
- What is your best childhood memory?
- Who is your biggest celebrity crush?
- Are you a morning person?
- What is your ideal first date?
- What did you want be when you were a child?
- What are the 5 things you’d want if you were stranded on a deserted island?
- Are you a glass half full or half empty kind of guy?
- What’s the most embarrassing thing to ever happen to you?
- What is your favourite ice cream flavour?
- What do you to relax?
More often than not, their answers gave me amazing insights into future dates ‘personalities and I could decide whether the connection was worthwhile pursuing. With each answered set of questions came opportunities to talk about a variety of topics and something to laugh about or inquire about more on the official first date.
Also, I got a kick out of responding with my truthful and weird answers because if they couldn’t deal with my decidedly wacky nature pre-date, then f*** it! Next!